Saturday, October 04, 2014

October 2014 General Conference




October 2014 LDS General Conference


Saturday AM Session



President Monson:  Welcome to Conference

Elder Boyd K. Packer:  Repentance and the Atonement of Jesus Christ

Elder Robbins:  Which Way are you Facing?

Sister Esplin:  Sacrament

Hymn: Guide Us O Thou Great Jehovah

Elder Chi Hong Wong:  Church Members Working Together in Rescue Assignment (Cantonese)

Elder D. Todd Christofferson:  Every Subject's Soul is His Own

Choir

President Dieter F. Uchtdorf:   Our Ability to See


Notes 

 
 Elder Robbins was specially inspirational for me today.

He reiterated a message from Elder Packer about "facing the right way".

And he talked about those in Lehi's dream who pointed their fingers in scorn, causing the faithful to stumble and fall away in their feeling of shame.

When others demand approval in defiance of God’s commandments, we must always keep in mind that we are striving to be disciples of Christ, and which way we should face.

I have abandoned my attempt to take notes while watching the Conference broadcast.  This has been my custom for years.

Not up to that kind of multitasking any more, I'm afraid.  I didn't even follow through with transcribing my notes onto my blog from last April.  My capacity seems to be progressively diminishing little by little.

Sorry.  Makes me feel sad to realize.  It might be easier to simply pass on, than linger in my malingering.  Nevertheless, I will keep doing what I can, until I can't.



Saturday PM Session 



President Eyring:   Sustaining of Church Officers

Elder Dallin H. Oaks:  Love One Another

Elder Neal L. Anderson:  Bless Them That Curse You

Elder Tad R. Callister:  Teach Children to Pray

Hymn:  Redeemer of Israel

Elder Jörg Klebingat:  Principles for Righteous Living

Elder Eduardo Cabaret:  The Savior Invites Us To Follow Him (Spanish)

Elder Jeffrey R. Holland:  The Poor and Needy Shall Not Suffer

Elder L. Tom Perry:  Come Unto Me, and I Will Give You Rest

Hymn:  Abide With Me 


Notes



Elder Oaks is so reliable, a tower of strength and counsel to challenge us all.  His name so appropriate.

I almost always weep during Elder Holland's talks.  His compassionate themes are moving and spiritual.



Saturday Priesthood Session



Elder Quentin L. Cook:  Decisions and Choices

Elder Craig C. Christiansen:  Know for Youself that the Gospel is True

Elder Dean M. Davies:  Humanitarian Relief Efforts

President Deiter F. Uchtdorf:  Lord, is it I?

President Henry B. Eyring:  Priesthood Probationary State to Prepare

President Thomas S. Monson: Steering the Course

Missionary Choir:  Ye Elders of Israel


Notes 


President Uchtdorf's message hit hard, for me.  Really hard.   I need to review it when it is published.

Lord, Is It I?
 
I fear that it is...



Sunday AM Session



President Henry B. Eyring:  Personal Revelation

Elder Russel M. Nelson:  Sustaining the Prophet

Carole F. McConkie:  Women Support the Prophet

Elder Robert D. Hales:  Know Jesus Christ

Elder James J. Hamula:  Sacrament in Remembrance of Christ

President Thomas S. Monson:  Walking As Jesus Walked


Notes 

 

President Eyring made several references to his involvement in the Teton Dam Disaster in 1976.  Hearing recalled some tearful memories - I was there too.

I was impressed that Sister McConkie reiterated that faithful women in the Church support Church leaders.  It struck me as a direct refuting of the "Ordain Women" challenge.




Sunday PM Session



Elder M. Russel Ballard:  Stay in the Boat

Elder Richard D. Scott:  Opposition in All Things

Elder Carlos A Godoy:  Patriarchal Blessings (Portugese)

Elder Larry S. Kartcher:  Caught in the Riptide

Elder Allan F. Packer:  Focus on Requirements of Exaltation

Elder Hugo Martinez:  Bringing Souls to God (Spanish)

Elder David A. Bednar:  First Aid for All

President Thomas S. Monson:  Closing


Notes


Stay in the Boat - Elder Ballard.

Such a timely and appropriate message.

I am still trying to figure out exactly how this counsel dovetails with Elder Oaks' admonition for greater civility.

Another marvelous Conference, giving me a lot of cause for personal reflection.

I will ponder these things in my heart...

No comments: