Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Questions of Faith



One of my favorite discussions of this issue, a 1984 General Conference address from Elder Bruce R. McConkie.

He outlines these questions for self-assessment.
 
“Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves.” (2 Cor. 13:5.)
 Test one: Do I worship the only true and living God?


Test two: Do I believe in the fall of Adam?

Test three: Do I believe in the atonement of the Lord Jesus Christ?

Test four: Do I accept the true plan of salvation?

Test five: Do I believe the gospel as it has been restored in this final dispensation of grace?

Test six: Am I a faithful member of the true Church?

Test seven: Do I honor Joseph Smith as the great prophet of the Restoration?

Test eight: Am I enduring to the end, growing in grace, and gaining the attributes of godliness?

Test nine: Do I put first in my life the things of God’s kingdom? Is it with me and mine the kingdom of God or nothing?

Test ten: Am I so living that I will be saved in the kingdom of God?


The Church is like a great caravan—organized, prepared, following an appointed course, with its captains of tens and captains of hundreds all in place.
What does it matter if a few barking dogs snap at the heels of the weary travelers? Or that predators claim those few who fall by the way? The caravan moves on.

Is there a ravine to cross, a miry mud hole to pull through, a steep grade to climb? So be it. The oxen are strong and the teamsters wise. The caravan moves on.

Are there storms that rage along the way, floods that wash away the bridges, deserts to cross, and rivers to ford? Such is life in this fallen sphere. The caravan moves on.

Ahead is the celestial city, the eternal Zion of our God, where all who maintain their position in the caravan shall find food and drink and rest. Thank God that the caravan moves on!

No comments: