Friday, December 26, 2008

Darkness


It gets very dark here when the electricity goes off. Everyone was searching in their kitchen drawers for candles and matches.

I can't stand up very well in the darkness. I keep a flashlight handy at all times. My frequent night trips to the bathroom are made a bit more of an adventure by the dark and the cold, not to mention the fact that water becomes a limited commodity when there is no electricity to power the jet pump in the deep well. So, we make do with what we have.

My bedroom is heated with electricity, so I moved into the house this morning, where there is a wood burning stove. We kept warm, and listened to Handel's Messiah while the batteries lasted on my notebook. The electric service was restored at about 10 this morning, after around twelve hours of blackness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun adventure - the kind of thing that makes you grateful for warm blankets and electricity.

Unknown said...

Ruth,

surfthechannel web sites are all pretty busy right now, I guess because kids are all home from school or something. It may be quieter after the holidays. For now, check out the fancast web site. It has fewer programs available, but better bandwidth, so you might be able to watch something. They interupt with occasional ads, but not as bad as commercial TV.