Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Rehab progress 2


Yesterday I visited the GP doctor my mother elected for me. He initially preached the standard medical jargon to me about stroke. He took one look at me and diagnosed me as potential diabetic, so that explains away any other health concerns I might raise. Problem is, I don't thing I am diabetic, and that leaves a lot of open questions. Anyway. he was happy that the drug regimen prescribed has resulted in lower blood pressure ( doctors have defined my blood pressure as undesirably high since I was a teen-ager, though it has always been about the same). He acted like I should be satisfied too. But I feel worse than I have in my whole life. This is a case where medical doctrine says I should feel all better. But I still feel like death warmed over. I guess I should be satisfied to please medical science, even if the patient dies.

I also complained that falls I have sustained resulted in painful injury to pelvic region and right--side ribs, so the doctor ordered xrays taken of those particular areas and pronounced me fit. I was concerned about hurting, but I suppose a bit of pain will not cause permanent damage or anything like that. My ribs especially cause severe pain and discomfort. When I sit just right, when I bend over, or for no apparent reason whatsoever, I have a pain through my right side that feels like a knife stabbing through me. Oh well, it's only painful. I guess it will get better.

My rehab session went better. I assembled a bunch of plumbing pipes, and took them apart without problem. We worked on entry to my car, which is pretty high ground clearance, and has been some frustration. I was able to get to the platform at that height after some careful planning. It was an interesting exercise, since I started out thinking it was impossible, and ended up being successful in climbing into the high-up car. In spite of some continuing serious limitations, I am making some adaptations to the disability, and can work around the problems. In spite of being largely useless for most things I used to do easily, now I can do simple things although with great effort.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jim? Are you still out there?

Unknown said...

Patricia,

I am still alive, some observations to the contrary. My life is keeping me busy, though I accomplish very little. Every little thing takes a long time, and I am so painfully slow, I commit to very few important things. Maybe I am regressing to a retarded clumsy child. That is the way most people seem to treat me.

Unknown said...

(Weeping)...