Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Rehab progress 3


I have concluded business at UVMC for the present. We discovered another rehab facility in Mt Pleasant, closer to Hideaway Valley. The PT trainer is Ben Robinson. He is helping me with further workouts.

I am at a plateau of sorts, it seems. Progress toward restoring normal function seems to have slowed considerably -- I can still do some of the things I used to be able to do, but I get so tired very quickly, and then I have to rest.

Perhaps this easy fatigue is a result of the stroke, or perhaps something else. Whatever the case, it slows me down to a snail's pace. Patience is something I have to develop -- both with myself, and the people I work with. The other day, I told the attendant at the physical therapy session that the treadmill workout was too easy. She said I needed to work up to higher performance levels -- and she was right. After I finished the hour-long workout, I was so tired I could barely make it out to the car, I was so tired. And the fatigue added up more later on. I was working too hard, too soon.

I understand the intellectual idea of incremental workouts, but it is difficult to be patient with myself enough to implement. I need to give my body some time.

No comments: