Friday, March 20, 2009

My Dad: Firm as the Mountains


My dad is the most faithful and inspired person I have met in my entire life, no qualifiers needed. If you had a chance to know him, you'd know exactly what I mean.

Mom is the most nurturing and caring, unconditionally loving person.

Most people I perceive to be committed to honesty and integrity get along easily with my parents. Others have a difficult time right from the beginning, through no discernible discrimination that I can see, but it usually happens immediately, nonetheless.

Why? I'm uncertain. They have certainly had their share of being taken in by confidence men, swindlers, and schemers throughout their long and eventful life. I think the Lord allows some good people to suffer at the hands of the wicked, in order that their evil acts may condemn them unequivocally.

I have learned more about my parents through watching them through the years. Time has taken a harsh toll.

I know that inside them both, a much younger persona lives, and I see sometimes a quick flash of energy, a lightened step, the cares of the day ignored, the burdens of life cast aside as they find some long-forgotten joy to remember and cherish and rejoice in. Then the shoulders sag, and the eyes dim once more. It is gone. Until the next fire rekindles.

Inside my dad's hard demeanor, there is a human persona that somewhat resembles this defenseless creature.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cindy again.

To borrow from and "oldie" (kind of outside the mood of your post--hope you don't mind!)..."I second that emotion!"

Bill and Mary Cobabe have been most wonderful parents in a really great family! BTW thanks for being such a fine member of that family. Proud to have you as a brother too!

Love you,
Cindy