Thursday, October 09, 2008

Bad Habits



My worst bad habit is eating -- even when I am not hungry at all.

I catch myself thinking about lunch, simply because it is lunch time. I start in making a peanut butter and jam sandwich, then realize that my stomach is turning over, just at the sight of the bread in front of my eyes. I realize that I was in the process of beginning to make a sandwich, even though I was not hungry, had no appetite for food, and might even feel sick to eat this food. It was a stupid impulsive act, and I started doing it before I even thought about it, simply because of the ingrained lunch time habit.

I need to give more thought to my habits, to recognize the bad ones before I automatically do these programmed actions, even when I don't need or want them.

Some of my habits have proven to be bad, even though they served me in the past. I have been accustomed to being warned by my body that I would soon need a toilet. I find the urgent need coming upon me without sufficient warning, and I can no longer depend on advance notice. My habit no longer serves, because my body has quit sending the earlier signal that I was used to. Now when I realize that I need a bathroom, it is right now.

I have had several instances where my old habits failed to serve me well, with rather unpleasant results.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My wife gets a bit upset with me, because i wake up in the middle of the night, 2am, 3am, 4am, and eat spoons full of peanut butter. no clue why it's that food item, but that's the way it is. apparently we cobabe's have a thing for peanut butter and jam.

I probably eat a jar of peanut butter a week. is that healthy?

Unknown said...

by the way, respond, if ever you'd like, to briancobabe@gmail.com. . . the email that shows is my work email. guess who's not working right now? hehe