Wednesday, October 15, 2008

October 2008 General Conference: Come What May, and Love It



If you find yourself facing a difficult challenge, or are discouraged for any reason, I recommend a review of Elder Wirthlin's general conference address. Elder Wirthlin counsels us to endure times of adversity by keeping a good attitude.

Elder Wirthlin's four main points:

1. Learn to Laugh
2. Seek for the Eternal
3. Understand the Principle of Compensation
4. Put Our Trust in the Father and the Son

He illustrated this first point with a very funny story about a man who came to pick up one his daughters for babysitting. One of the other daughters thought he was her blind date come to pick her up, and went with him to get in his car, after formal introductions were made to all the family members. The girl was embarrassed to learn that the man was only looking to get the babysitter, and the whole family collapsed in laughter to learn of the mistake.

On the second point, Elder Wirthlin counsels:
Learning to endure times of disappointment, suffering, and sorrow is part of our on-the-job training. These experiences, while often difficult to bear at the time, are precisely the kinds of experiences that stretch our understanding, build our character, and increase our compassion for others.

Because Jesus Christ suffered greatly, He understands our suffering. He understands our grief. We experience hard things so that we too may have increased compassion and understanding for others.

He states the third principle thus:

The Lord compensates the faithful for every loss. That which is taken away from those who love the Lord will be added unto them in His own way. While it may not come at the time we desire, the faithful will know that every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing and gratitude.

While I do not fully understand how to apply this idea, I am trying to visualize how it must apply to my circumstances. I am uncertain what compensation is being offered in the midst of my troubles, but I am relying on the fourth principle outlined to get me through. I do not know if things will ever improve for me. So I wait...

Elder Wirthlin speaks of the fourth principle by mentioning that one of his daughters suffered with a certain affliction for many years. In spite of her suffering, she put her trust in the Lord. His recommendation:

The simple secret is this: put your trust in the Lord, do your best, then leave the rest to Him.

While this advise is not as easy as it sounds to depend on, it seems to be the final hope of those who have abandoned every other. We can put trust in the Lord, who understands all afflictions.

I do. I will continue doing all I can.

The rest is up to him.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Elder Wirthlin delivered his conference talk seated in his chair. Apparently some were concerned when he nearly fell down while addressing an earlier conference.

Rest assured that he is well acquainted with dealing with hardship and challenge.

a little music said...

Maybe its time for us to re-read "Believing Christ", particularly with reference to #3. I just can't comprehend the whole concept of loving the lousy stuff that comes along. That's why I take anti-anxiety medications, I guess. I wish you could help me understand.