Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Amateur Pshrink


Who fits this characterization?
Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) is a personality disorder defined by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, the diagnostic classification system used in the United States, as "a pervasive pattern of grandiosity, need for admiration, and a lack of empathy."

The narcissist is described as turning inward for gratification rather than depending on others, and as being excessively preoccupied with issues of personal adequacy, power, and prestige. Narcissistic personality disorder is closely linked to self-centeredness.

DSM-IV divides personality disorders into three clusters based on symptom similarities. This clustering categorizes the narcissistic personality disorder as a cluster B personality disorder, those personality disorders having in common an excessive sense of self importance. Also in that cluster are the borderline personality disorder, the histrionic personality disorder and the antisocial personality disorder.

A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

1. has a grandiose sense of self-importance
2. is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
3. believes that he or she is "special" and can only be understood by, or should associate with, people (or institutions) who are also "special" or of high status.
4. requires excessive admiration
5. has a sense of entitlement
6. is interpersonally exploitative
7. lacks empathy
8. is often envious of others or believes others are envious of him or her
9. shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I need a dictionary just to read this thing,

But I like to read the dictionary.

So much is subject to subjective judgement, I think I could make just about anyone fit. I was considering myself as narcisstic and I seem to fit every point, right down the line. Should I worry? Or would that make me a neurotic instead? Or perhaps just parnoid? I can´t decide which I like best.

achick47 said...

I read all these backwards. I know I am beautiful, way to important for the common folks to associate with, Of course everyone is envious of me. Opps that was just me thinking out loud LOL. Sometimes you make me almost pee my pants. I love when you post things like this I not only learn something I get to laugh at myself. If my batteries on my chair would make it or I could get an extension cord long enough I would love to come out there and meet you.I bet we could sit in an all nite cafe and talk about this carzy world we live in and really enjoy ourselves.
I see your nephew lives in Texas if you ever venture our way give me a shout I would feel so proud to entertain you for awhile. I guess it is the fact that I feel I understand some of where you are and think You would understand some of where I am. I so love my God and our Church it helps me to cope everyday. Even on those days I shout to the Heavens "I Have had enough." Thanks for brightening my day today.
Angel your friend in Texas

Unknown said...

Angel,

I am pleased indeed to hear that you find some entertainment and enlightenment here on this blog. That makes it all the more worth while for me to spend time composing posts, knowing that my friends may enjoy them, and even learn something occasionally, as I myself do. It is mostly good fun. I wish everything in life was so clearly gratifying -- but, come what may, and love it!