Tuesday, February 10, 2009

LDS Hymns of the Restoration: Parley P. Pratt

When the screaming volume grows to unpleasant and unsupportable levels in my ears, and I cannot think any longer of any thing else, in desperation I remember an inspiring incident's from my days at Portland , Oregon. It was a magic few moments before the true hour of sun up, but some meteorological phenomenon of river canyon and mountain terrain and what have you formed a sort of cloud conduit far from the east to carry sunlight in a sort of pipeline into the Portland sky hours before the natural sunrise. It was magical... The sky lighted up as if from below with an eerie light that was glowing yellow and orange and pink, sombre tones, not bright like directly from sunlight, but as filtered and reflected through a tunnel of light hundreds of miles long. It only lasted for a few minuted as the words form the hymn rang through my mind. I sang from my balcony -- my neighbours complained. They were always griping about my weird behaviour, but I didn't pay any attention.

The soaring words of Brother Pratt's glorious vision fit perfectly with the splendid false sunrise:

The Morning Breaks,
The Shadows Flee,
Lo' Zions Standard is Unfurl'd
The Dawing of a Brighter Day,
The Dawning of a Brighter Day,
Majestic Rises On The World!!

The clouds of error disappear
Before the rays of truth divine;
The glory bursting from afar,
The glory bursting from afar
Wide o'er the nations soon will shine.

The Gentile fullness now comes in,
And Israel's blessings are at hand.
Lo, Judah's remnant, cleansed from sin,
Lo, Judah's remnant, cleansed from sin
Shall in their promised Canaan stand
Jehovah speaks! let earth give ear,
And Gentile nations turn and live.
His mighty arm is making bare,
His mighty arm is making bare
His covenant people to receive.

Angels from heaven and truth from earth

Have met, and both have record borne;

Thus Zion's light is bursting forth,
Thus Zion's light is bursting forth,
To bring her ransomed children home.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely. The photo is breathtaking. Have you ever seen the shadow of the mountain at sunset? As the rays of the sun are cast against the skyline of the topmost crags of the mountain, they cast a slight shadow that follows the sillouhette of the mountain. It mystifies me. I've only seen it twice in my life.

I'm sorry I got upset with you earlier, Jim. Will you forgive me?

I worry so much about you. I won't say I don't know what to do, so I blunder about in an effort to do something, anything. I'm sure it must be all wrong, but I'm doing something. You know I refuse to sit on my hands. I can't do that. I love you too much.

Forgive me, please. I couldn't bear to think of it if you didn't. I can't fix things and I want to so badly. I have absolutely no grace when I'm blundering about in the dark.

Unknown said...

Ruth,

My neighbors did not like me much, i'm afraid. I woke up ua odd hours, made lots of noise, and I SNORED like a lokamitive. The apartments shared a common interior hallway, and the front doors all had a wide slot underneath, so they did not block much, noise or otherwise,

One Morning, I woke up, and there was a long and serious typewritten note about my snoring problem, slipped under the door. It was anonymous, but I could tell it was from a concerned consortium of neighbors. They counseled that I had a possible serious medical problem, and needed to see a doctor right away to avoid possible severe complications. One of them endorsed the opinion with a the authority of a nursing background.

I put the note back under the door as far as I could into the hallway without opening the door, and later heard them laughing when the found it there later, apparently unread and unheeded.

I did start taking Sudafed regularly every night after that. It helped a lot.

Anonymous said...

When I was in college, I lived in a house that was divided into "apartments". My bedroom was on the other side of a non-insulated wall from a neighbor's bedroom. He snored. No. He SNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOORRRRRED. The house shook. It kept me up at night. One night during allergy season, after several sleep deprived nights, I lost my mind. I bolted upright in bed and shouted at the top of my lungs, "Hellllooooo!!! Mr. Neeeeighbor! It is now 4 o'clock in the morning, and I have been laying here listening to you snore ALL night. Could you PLEASE ROLL OVER???!!!"

In response, I heard a very quiet and terse, "Sorry."

I never heard another peep from them again. I slept very well the rest of the night.

Unknown said...

Ruth,

One of my most fun mountain adventures was on Loafer Mountain when I became KING OF THE WORLD.

I was standing near the top when the light suddenly was shining around me so my shadow projected out across the valley for miles. I WAS A GIANT! I couldn't really define limbs -- arms or legs or anything, just a giant black shape projected out across the sky. It lasted a few minutes as the sun went down, then it was time to skedaddle off the top of that mountain, before I was stumbling along in the dark. It was a fun vision while it lasted though!

Anonymous said...

LOL What a great time! I would have had a good laugh with that one! Most likely I would have been jumping around and yelling all kinds of stupid things that would have echoed around to match the shadow. You know me.